I am a 26-year-old mother of one! Born 5 months ago at 9lb3oz, my baby did a number on my body. I know I will never look like my high school self, but that doesn't mean I have to throw the cards in. Being MOMMY doesn't mean I can't be SKINNY! I do love exercise, however, I hate working out. I want to take my baby for a swim or extend my grocery shopping trip to add some more steps but screw the gym! My ideal weight will be attained through my diet: cooking, researching, swapping...here's how I do it!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Eat DRINK And Be Skinny...

Coffee, diet soda, margaritas, water, orange juice...there are almost as many beverage options as there are snack choices!  As long as you're eating healthy it doesn't matter what you put in your cup, right? It is JUST liquid after all.

Well, if those liquids are loaded with calories, fat and sugars they can absolutely sabotage your healthy diet!  Research needs to go into what you're eating AND drinking.  Serving sizes and portion control matter with beverages, too!

My coffee maker! Saves calories, time, money!
  • Coffee is one part of my day that I won't give up.  Starbucks is SO easy and SO delicious...but a 16 oz. iced Caramel Macchiato is 230 cals and 6g of fat! That's extremely high considering coffee (without additives) is almost calorie free.  8 oz. of brewed coffee has about 2 calories.  My new coffee regime includes a coffee maker with a timer...it's ready for me when I wake up!  I sprinkle a little cinnamon in the coffee grounds before brewing to add a little fancy flavor and I drink it with a splash of fat free milk.  Add a little fat free whipped topping to make it even more coffee house comparable.
  • Lunchtime is another meal and another beverage.  Diet sodas usually have little or zero calories but they're loaded with artificial sweeteners that are far from healthy.  If you need a caffeine boost, have a glass of iced tea (brewed yourself) with a little sugar or sweetener or a lemon wedge.

  • Alcohol is another bev loaded with unexpected calories! A margarita has 700-750 calories in a 10 oz. serving.  The "typical" daily diet is between 1500-2000 calories.  So you can have two margaritas!   And nothing else.  If you want an adult beverage or two, have a glass of wine or a light beer (both are around 100 calories). 
  • Fruit juice is very confusing.  Fresh fruit is a great snack and important part of a daily diet because it is loaded with important vitamins and minerals...but also a great source of fiber.   If you squeeze a fruit for its juice and throw away the pulp, you've thrown away all of the fiber and you're left with a lot of sugar.  Turn fruit into a juice or smoothie by using the whole fruit (sans peels, cores, seeds and stems of course).
My Brita Ultramax - makes refills so easy!
  • Water is the REAL diet beverage.  I bought a Brita Ultramax water filter (the one with the spout) and refill the same water bottle all day! It saves us a lot of money, but if buying bottled water is more convenient it absolutely is worth the price!

No comments:

Post a Comment