I am a 26-year-old mother of one! Born 5 months ago at 9lb3oz, my baby did a number on my body. I know I will never look like my high school self, but that doesn't mean I have to throw the cards in. Being MOMMY doesn't mean I can't be SKINNY! I do love exercise, however, I hate working out. I want to take my baby for a swim or extend my grocery shopping trip to add some more steps but screw the gym! My ideal weight will be attained through my diet: cooking, researching, swapping...here's how I do it!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Recipe: Stuffed Bell Peppers

4 bell peppers, seeded and cut vertically
1 c. cooked brown rice
1 lb. ground turkey, browned (any kind of ground meat or soy crumbles will do)
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce (no salt added)
3 Anaheim chiles, roasted, peeled & diced (or one small can)
2 handfuls cilantro, chopped
4 green onions, diced
Sprinkle of garlic powder
Dash of dried oregano
Salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375.

 In a large stockpot, bring water to boil.  While waiting, mix rice, ground turkey, tomato sauce, chiles, cilantro, green onions & spices...set aside.  Boil the bell peppers for a few minutes just to soften them up.  Remove them from the water with tongs, make sure all the water is drained out, place in a shallow baking dish.  Stuff the pepper halves with the rice mixture...make sure they're full but don't pack them too tight.  Add an inch of water to the baking dish.  Bake for 30-45 minutes, until peppers are fork tender.

Note: You can add a little shredded cheese to the top of your stuffed bell pepper if you choose!  After baking, sprinkle the cheese and put back into the oven until it's melted.  I found this recipe from a cookbook and changed it (a LOT) to be healthier and added some of my favorite ingredients.  I used to add a lot of cheese to the stuffing and to the tops.  I don't use any cheese now and I don't miss it.  Sometimes, I even leave out the rice if I'm going for a less filling meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment