I am a 26-year-old mother of one! Born 5 months ago at 9lb3oz, my baby did a number on my body. I know I will never look like my high school self, but that doesn't mean I have to throw the cards in. Being MOMMY doesn't mean I can't be SKINNY! I do love exercise, however, I hate working out. I want to take my baby for a swim or extend my grocery shopping trip to add some more steps but screw the gym! My ideal weight will be attained through my diet: cooking, researching, swapping...here's how I do it!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Recipe: Shrimp Creole Ala Ali

This isn't a real traditional Creole recipe...it's actually based on a dish my mom used to serve and call "shrimp Creole."

1 small onion, diced
3 stalks of celery, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
Drizzle extra virgin olive oil
1 lb shrimp, peeled & deveined
16 oz can tomato sauce (no salt added)
1 can water (I use the empty tomato sauce can)
 Tabasco sauce to taste (a lot or a little!)
Dash salt & pepper
Dash Italian seasoning or dried oregano
Whole wheat pasta or brown rice, cooked

In a large skillet, cook the onion, celery and garlic until translucent.  Add shrimp and cook until they're evenly pink.  Immediately pour in the tomato sauce, water and Tabasco sauce and season with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.  Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce to low.  Simmer about 20 min. to give the tomato sauce a chance to cook.  Serve over pasta or rice, with a salad on the side!

Pasta serving sizes are easily misjudged - it's ok to measure!

No comments:

Post a Comment