I am a 26-year-old mother of one! Born 5 months ago at 9lb3oz, my baby did a number on my body. I know I will never look like my high school self, but that doesn't mean I have to throw the cards in. Being MOMMY doesn't mean I can't be SKINNY! I do love exercise, however, I hate working out. I want to take my baby for a swim or extend my grocery shopping trip to add some more steps but screw the gym! My ideal weight will be attained through my diet: cooking, researching, swapping...here's how I do it!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Marshall & Alison's Fajita Extravaganza!

This is a meal that we cook about once a week.   
It's delicious, healthy and versatile!  


Choice of Meat (shrimp, chicken, steak, none, seasoned with your favorite spices - instead of salt, try citrus)
Bell Peppers (any color), cut into strips
Onion, cut into strips
Whole Wheat Tortillas (I like La Banderita Whole Wheat Tortillas...they're 98% fat free!)
Vegetarian Refried Beans (I use Rosarita's canned refried black beans)
Homemade Guacamole (see below)
Homemade Pico de Gallo (see below)



My favorite tortillas!

Preheat the grill (charcoal, gas, George Foreman).
Grill your meat & veggies. 

Serve with beans, guac, pico de gallo and a whole wheat tortilla!  (Remember serving size & portion control!*)

It's as easy as that!  A quick, easy, healthy, fajita feast!

Mix it up...add grilled tomatoes, green onions, a different meat, zucchini, pineapple, etc.


Ali's Homemade Guacamole

2 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled (save the pits!)
1/4 c green chiles, roasted, peeled, diced (or one small can...yeah, my mom & my husband are of Mexican descent.  I use canned beans AND canned chiles!)
2 or 3 green onions, diced
Handful of cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Sprinkle of garlic powder

In a med. bowl smash the avocados with the back of a spoon or a potato masher until it they're smooth but chunky.  Add the rest of your ingreds & blend!  Refrigerate until ready to use, set the avocado pits on top of the guacamole.  This is an old Mexican trick, it will help the avocado from turning brown!

Ali's Homemade Pico de Gallo

2 tomatoes, diced
2 jalapenos, diced
2 or 3 green onions, diced
Handful of cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Sprinkle of garlic powder
Sprinkle of salt

Mix all ingredients together for an awesome, quick pico de gallo!  I usually try to avoid adding salt, but it's important here because it helps the veggies release their flavor.   Store leftovers in a closed container, but remember the longer fresh salsa sits the hotter it gets.

Jicama!
I've also added chunks of jicama or shredded cabbage to turn this recipe into a quick slaw for fajitas and tacos!


* Serving Sizes:
  • A serving of meat is the size of your fist.
  • Restaurants serve 2-4 oz veggie portions.  This is for cost.  I believe that if you want a heaping portion of something, make it vegetables. 
  • I use one tortilla.  It's easier this way.  
  • Follow the serving sizes on the can of beans.
  • My guacamole & pico de gallo are pretty healthy, and they're mostly veggies.  Avocado has fat, but it is the good fat.  Don't overdo it, but enjoy them!

No comments:

Post a Comment