I am a 26-year-old mother of one! Born 5 months ago at 9lb3oz, my baby did a number on my body. I know I will never look like my high school self, but that doesn't mean I have to throw the cards in. Being MOMMY doesn't mean I can't be SKINNY! I do love exercise, however, I hate working out. I want to take my baby for a swim or extend my grocery shopping trip to add some more steps but screw the gym! My ideal weight will be attained through my diet: cooking, researching, swapping...here's how I do it!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Recipe: Apple Cranberry Crisp

Dessert is something that I'm not really willing to give up.  I have a sweet tooth and I like to have a snack after my dinner.  It's never really a HEALTHY meal (unless you're having raw veggies or something) but you can make it healthIER and lower in fat and calories without sacrificing taste.

4 large tart apples, peeled, cored, sliced into thin wedges
12oz bag cranberries*
3/4 c sugar or other sweetener
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 1/2 c rolled oats
1/2 c butter sub (my favorite is Best Life with olive oil...less fat than butter, tastes JUST like butter, and it's the cheapest butter sub I've found!) 
Cool Whip Free or fat free vanilla ice cream (for topping)
Lower fat, lower money!

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Toss apples and cranberries with 1/2 cup sweetener, 1 tablespoon flour, and cinnamon. Spread evenly in a 9" x 13" baking dish.

Mix the rolled oats with the remaining flour and sugar. Add the butter substitute and work the mixture until it is uniformly crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the fruit.

Bake for 45 minutes, until lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.  Serve with a scoop of Cool Whip Free or FF vanilla ice cream.  Enjoy!

Note: I don't have nutrition facts or serving sizes for this recipe.  I got an apple crisp recipe from a website last year for Thanksgiving and made my own changes and additions.  I serve all of my desserts in a small Pyrex bowl or a tiny Tupperware - the ones that are intended for condiments.  This helps my portion control! 

*Cranberries can be hard to find or expensive when it's not Thanksgiving time.  I've never used another fruit, but I would definitely try a berry (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries - 3 cups) or just add another apple or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment