I am a 26-year-old mother of one! Born 5 months ago at 9lb3oz, my baby did a number on my body. I know I will never look like my high school self, but that doesn't mean I have to throw the cards in. Being MOMMY doesn't mean I can't be SKINNY! I do love exercise, however, I hate working out. I want to take my baby for a swim or extend my grocery shopping trip to add some more steps but screw the gym! My ideal weight will be attained through my diet: cooking, researching, swapping...here's how I do it!

Monday, May 23, 2011

Recipe: Chicken & Rice Done Healthier

This is a healthier alternative to a favorite meal.  It's quick, too! A few min of prep, throw it all in one pan, and bake - like a casserole but not creamy & weird.

1 c raw rice (I used Rice-A-Roni Nature's Way Wild Rice, you can use your favorite rice)
1 c cooked spinach
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 rsp dried rosemary
1 c water
2 large (or 4 small) bonless/skinless chicken breasts
1/4 tsp lemon pepper (my FAV alternative to salt & pepper!)

Preheat oven to 375.

Use a cheese cloth, dish towel or paper towel to squeeze the liquid from the cooked spinach.  In a deep baking dish combine spinach with raw rice, water, garlic and rosemary.  Lay chicken on top, press down so the edges are a bit buried.  Lightly sprinkle the tops of chicken breasts with lemon pepper
Bake for 45 min to 1 hour or until center of chicken breast is completely done.

**Rice-A-Roni Nature's Way Wild Rice serving size 1 cup cooked has 190 cals, 0.5g fat, 760mg sodium.  Not too bad for boxed rice, and it's like $1.  The sodium is a bit high, but I avoid salt all day otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment