I am a 26-year-old mother of one! Born 5 months ago at 9lb3oz, my baby did a number on my body. I know I will never look like my high school self, but that doesn't mean I have to throw the cards in. Being MOMMY doesn't mean I can't be SKINNY! I do love exercise, however, I hate working out. I want to take my baby for a swim or extend my grocery shopping trip to add some more steps but screw the gym! My ideal weight will be attained through my diet: cooking, researching, swapping...here's how I do it!

Friday, May 20, 2011

Recipe: Healthy Chili

Mixed Legumes - the more the merrier!
My mom gave me a bag of dried mixed legumes (pintos, kidneys, black, navy, split peas, etc).   I make a 3 bean chili with canned beans so I thought I'd use these for that!  You may find that this needs salt, I don't like to use a lot of salt so my recipes are generally a little more bland than most would like.   This is easy prep, but be prepared to let it simmer for hours...I did 3.5.

32 oz bag dried mixed legumes
3 tbsp. chili powder (check the ingreds, make sure it's just chili)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 lb lean ground beef or ground turkey
1 can diced tomatoes, do not drain (no salt added)
1 can white corn, drained (optional, adds nice color and a nice crunch)
black pepper to taste

Pour the legumes into a stock pot and add water that just covers them.  Let the legumes soak for 30 minutes.

While the beans are soaking, brown your ground beef/turkey.

NOTE: you CAN make this a vegan chili by omitting the meat entirely or adding soy crumbles.  The legumes are a nice source of protein.  If you do use meat, brown it in a non-stick pan so that you don't need any oil or fat!  Also, add a bit of seasoning (chili powder, garlic, black pepper) to it.

Drain the water from the legumes.  Add the meat (drain the cooked of fat first), canned tomatoes and corn.  Add water to cover and bring to a boil.  Once you reach boiling, turn to LOW, cover and simmer for a least 2-3 hours. 

Serve alone, with an awesome low carb bread or tortilla or as the soup half of an awesome soup & salad meal!  My husband thinks that Louisiana Hot Sauce is the perfect compliment to the taste of this chili, he always needs a little more heat!

I apologize for not listing nutrition facts.  I am still new at this, and figuring nutrition facts is a bit daunting!  I will work on getting info for this and my recipes to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment